New York Times:
Indian Heart Surgeon
Took Talents Home
On May 18, 2003
By AMY WALDMAN
Healthcare Sales and Marketing Network News: Rejuva's Cell
Dr. Naresh Trehan - Indiatimes Chat
|About Dr. Trehan
DR. NARESH TREHAN
CHAIRMAN & MANAGING DIRECTOR
MEDANTA- THE MEDICITY
SECTOR-38, GURGAON, HARYANA- 122001
Profile of Dr Naresh Trehan
Name : Dr. Naresh Trehan
Date of Birth : August 12, 1946
Nationality : Indian
Phone : +91-124 4834 333
Fax : +91-124 4834 222
Mobile : +91 99 716 44444
Email : email@example.com
-- Download CV
- CMD Global Health Private Limited (Medicity)
- Senior Consultant Cardiovascular Surgery at Apollo Hospital, Sarita Vihar, New Delhi from June 1, 2007 till Dec 31st 2009.
- Executive Director and Chief Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeon, Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre, Okhla Road, New Delhi, from 1988 – 2007
- Appointed as Personal Surgeon to the President of India with effect from June, 1991.
- Appointed as Honorary Consultant to the Cromwell Hospital, London U.K., with effect from March, 1994.
- Appointed as Honorary Visiting Professor, Cardiovascular Surgery, LPS Institute of Cardiology, Kanpur (U.P.) with effect from June, 1996.
- Appointed as Honorary Consultant, Cardiothoracic Surgery, to the Armed Forces Medical Services, with effect from March, 1997.
- Appointed as Honorary Visiting Professor of Surgery, Bangladesh Medical College, Dhaka with effect from April, 2000.
PAST ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS
- Asstt. Professor of Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, USA, 1981-1988
- Clinical Instructor in Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, USA, 1971-1974
- Teaching Assistant in Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, USA, 1971-1974
PAST STAFF APPOINTMENTS
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon, New York University Medical Center, New York, U.S.A., 1979-1988
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon and Consultant, Bellevue Hospital of the city of New York, U.S.A.
- Chief Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Veterans Administration Hospital (Manhattan), U.S.A.
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon, New York Infirmary-Beekman Downtown Hospital, New York, U.S.A., 1979-1988
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon, St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center, New York, U.S.A., 1979-1988
- M.B.B.S. K.G. Medical College Lucknow, 1968 U.P., India
- Diplomat, American Board of Surgery U.S.A 1977
- Diplomate, American Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery U.S.A. 1979
After training in general surgery and subsequently cardiac surgery at premier institutions in U.S. (NYU Medical Centre), held important academic and clinical positions at the New York University Medical Center, Bellevue Hospital of the city of New York and Veterans Administration Hospital (Manhattan), U.S.A. His pioneering work in the field of coronary artery bypass surgery was at the New York University Medical Centre, New York, USA.
In 1988, despite a successful career in United States he returned to India and started Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre - a pioneering state-of-the-art heart institute in India. Within a short period this Centre became an important land mark the world over in cardiac surgery and cardiology having successfully performed over 48,000 open heart surgeries which includes surgeries of coronary artery, valves, carotid arteries, aortic aneurysm, cardiomyoplasty, cardiac arrhythmias, myocardial total arterial revascularization, transmyocardial laser revascularisation, least invasive coronary artery surgery on a beating heart, reduction ventriculoplasty (Batista Operation), heart port access surgery and robotically assisted cardiac surgery with excellent results. Some of these operations have been performed by Dr. Trehan for the first time in India.
Dr Trehan left Escorts in 2007 to give shape to his dream project Medanta - The Medicity, a multi super-specialty hospital located in Delhi’s NCR region, Gurgaon. Spread over 45 acres, Medanta is a 1500 bed hospital with 45 operating theatres which will cater to over 20 super-specialties. Medanta aims to match the standards of clinical care, research and education offered by the likes of Mayo/Harvard and Cleveland Clinics, while making treatments affordable.
Besides clinical work Dr Trehan has taken keen interest in training, education and research programmes. He is giving post doctoral training of international standard to 30 surgeons at a point of time, The training is of 3 years duration. Over 20 surgeons have already been trained so far.
Dr Trehan has also presented a number of scientific papers and chaired scientific sessions in national and international conferences in USA, UK, Japan, China, Israel and Far East countries.